this blog is under construction. stay tuned for a brand new blog soon :)

Monday, August 24, 2009

The wooden roller coaster

Earlier that Saturday afternoon, we watched photograph after photograph pop up onto my computer screen as it loaded. Words I'd want everyone to use to describe my photography were said. It felt incredible. I felt like I could do anything.

Then later in the evening, we were eating dinner and having a great conversation. All of a sudden, I'm in tears, and hands over my face embarrassed. Shocked and frustrated at how quickly my emotions went from one to the other, I stood next to JD in tears. The thing is, my confidence is a wooden rollercoaster. It creaks, it's rocky, it goes up and down, and all around. All I kept thinking to myself was, "How in the world am I going to make this happen?"

But the answers were right in that room with me. It's the man I'm going to marry. It's the woman who put a box of tissues in front of me. It's the man who put his arm around me as he gave me words of encouragement. It's my friends, it's my family. The people who have supported me from the very beginning. They believe in me. They believe in my photographs. They believe in what I do. That is exactly how I'm going to make this happen.

Because of them, the wooden roller coaster is no longer running. No more creaks, no more ups and downs. Just a land of photographs, happiness, and opportunities.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gladys, you're amazing and so is your work. Your photographs knocked our socks off and you also made the whole session more fun than I've ever had being photographed. Look out world!

Mapuana Reed Mataele said...

Your photos are amazing. I just started a few months ago and sometimes feel like I'm on a wooden roller coaster too. But its so worth the ride. I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog and seeing more beautiful pics :). Keep up the good work.

Still Wondering said...

the beauty of the wooden roller coaster is its ability to bend and give and be flexible - unlike the metal ones. They are from the forest not the factory. The wooden ones are crafted, not built. They are warm, not cold. Yes my young friend, i think you ARE like wooden roller coaster - and thank goodness you are!

Puanani Tagoai said...

This was a great post - you verbalized what I'm sure so many of us new photographers feel. From what you have on your blog, I think your work speaks for itself - your photos are great, the emotion that's pouring out of it, and the moments you capture! You have much to be proud of! Awesome work!

Margot said...

I believe in you 100% and know that you can make this happen. My voice teacher once said to me "you are the only thing that can get in the way of achieving this dream of yours." It was true. I was too hard on myself and lacked the confidence I needed. Don't let your head get in the way of this dream of yours. You are an amazing photographer. I never knew you had this ability and I am awestruck at your photographs. You can do this. I know you can.